Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Argentina

Well I made it Argentina safely and have enjoyed my first week here in Argentina!  We left the MTC at about 8:30 Monday morning and got to our hotel in Resistencia at about midnight on Tuesday. Our travel basically consisted of following random people around that didn't speak any English. All we understood was Resistencia and we all followed these guys into a van. We flew from Buenos Aries to Resistencia so all together we were in planes for about 16 to 17 hours.. I don't want to see another plane ever again for 2 years...

The first Area I am in is called Puerto Vilelas. It's a city near Resistencia and we share the city with 3 other missionaries since the area is so large. I would love to have gotten some pictures of our area but we are not allowed to take any valuables with us (including cameras) for safety reasons. It's incredible down here though. Northern Argentina is one of the poorest areas in South America and its amazing to see the conditions these people live in. Its so beautiful down here though I wish I could share it with all of you!

All of our lessons we teach are on the front porches of peoples houses just because their houses aren't even big enough to support 2 people around their table. It's a really humbling experience and I have learned that the mosquito here love white people. We have no luck really so far since I've been here. No one seems to like missionaries or Americans in general in our area so its hard to go contacting and have some success.

The people here are the best though and I already love it here! I have met some of the most faithful members here and the other missionaries here are the best!

My new companion is Elder Jauregui of Montevideo, Uruguay. He's a really cool guy and luckily he speaks English so we can communicate a bit. I was not ready at all for the language. I don't understand anything anyone says because they talk so fast its crazy! So i just sit there as my companion pulls the team since I have no clue what is even going on...

The elections are going on here in Argentina for their new president so yesterday we were all confined to our apartments for the day (other than church) just so we could stay safe from anything bad that could have happened. Luckily its also been raining buckets so we didn't have to go outside where it is flooding wet. Here when it rains everyone spends the day using buckets and getting all the water out of their houses.  It's sad but the amount of flooding here is unreal.

I'm enjoying it here and I hope you all are doing well back home!
With love,
Elder Peters




Things here are super poor but it is super awesome as well. I'm in an area called Peurto Vilelas (I think). My companion is from Uruguay but is white so everyone thinks we are both from Utah.  Yeah we live just in the outskirts of Resistencia. It's super poor outside of the city (like really poor) I would post pictures but I cant find the USB plug in this Internet Cafe. Nobody here likes us either so it makes it hard to even get lessons in. When contacting you stand outside their gate (or whatever they have) and clap a it and that's your way of knocking. Its different but kind of fun. The conditions the people we teach live in is unreal. Most people here live off of less then what missionaries do (1700 Pesos, or 170 Dollars)

Our flat we live in is one of the best in the mission only because we have hot water and lights. Apparently out in Formosa and Corrientas (where Elder Cornell and Elder Sheehan went) they don't have such things. So I got those blessings to start. The members here are also the best! we do get to eat with the members, but only the approved ones) and they make the best food I have ever had.

Yes we left Utah at 830 and arrived in Resistencia at around midnight so we had a long two days without a shower and wearing the same suit and shirt.

I hope things are well back home, Its been raining here the last couple days and it just floods everything. I'm staying safe don't worry. There has been no need to run from any robbers yet!

I don't remember much else that has happened since I have no clue what is going on half the time since they speak so fast and speak castillano. I was actually told my castillano was very good from a few different people even though I'm just using the Spanish they taught in the MTC so I haven't learned the difference yet...

But all is well! I love it here! Can't wait to spend 2 years here!
Hope everything is well back home!
Elder Peters

I also met an Hermana here from Oregon! Her name is Hermana Beecher from Newberg if that name rings a bell. No sé. But she's in my district, just curious if you recognize the name since you guys know everyone apparently.

PS, I also get 2 hours email time on Pdays so I will be on for another hour later today.

Buenos Aries Airport

Buenos Aries Temple

The view from our flat (this is the best looking area in town)

Our residence (one of the best in the mission)


No comments:

Post a Comment