Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Welcome to the Jungle... and the hospital.

Another week in the books! I already have almost a month here in Argentina and it’s another Monday it’s hard to believe. Trying to soak up every moment because this time is just flying by.

This week the weather has been the craziest it has ever been. Early in the week it was hot, like really hot, pushing 100 hot.  The problem isn’t the temperature, however. I’ve gotten used to the heat but the problem was just how freaking humid it is down here. We leave the apartment in the morning and it feels like you just hit a brick wall of heat and you start walking and you don’t really notice until about 5 minutes in and you’re already soaking wet in sweat and you stay wet the rest of the day.  It’s absolutely disgusting.  Our Mission President told us to make sure to drink 8 glasses a day of water but we all probably sweat about 8 glasses in the morning along. I usually drink 1.5 liters in the morning and that gets me through until lunch where I just chug water the entire 4 hours we have to eat and study (we study in the afternoons, unlike the stateside missions, because of the siesta, where the cities shut down and everyone sleeps). But right now I’m in long sleeves, its dumping rain and we have had lighting and thunder storms all night long. The weather here can never just be consistent in a single week. The jungle life, am I right?

We also made a trip to the hospital because my companion might actually be allergic to dust and earth here so he had to get a vaccine. And now I realize why all the other missionaries say that this is not a place you want to get sick.  Mold on the ceilings, poor hygiene, the patient rooms are hardly any better, and there’s, of course, the dogs... everywhere.  I made friends with the dog under my chair in the waiting room.

And while on the topic of sickness, we had a service project this week! A member needed help putting in a concrete floor in his house, so we helped him and other members of the ward make concrete, and after they fed us asada (BBQ).  They make concrete by mashing bricks into smaller pieces then mixing it with waters and all these different powders and sands. Well first I had my hand smashed by a giant brick someone threw when I was reaching into the pile.  Then during lunch we ate the food, and it was not good at all. One of the things they had was blood sausage.  Well I didn’t know what it was, so of course I took some and when we were walking back to our pension for our study time my companion told me what it was.  All the stuff of the cow they don’t use in other stuff, including the blood and veins. It’s safe to say I was sick the rest of the day.  So I left that activity with a hurting, bleeding hand, and an upset stomach.

But other than that we had a pretty normal week. Had 2 investigators come to church this week so we hope they continue to progress!

Hope all is going well back home for you all!
Elder Peters

Making Concrete

The post lunch, asada, with some members.

Hermano Miguel, one of the greatest guys I have ever met.

Just some Argentine sunset for you all.


Things here are pretty much the same.  It’s the same thing day in and day out.  We did have 2 investigators come to church this week so that was pretty exciting! but we are still a long ways from a baptism here. We might have a wedding though!  One of the investigators that came to church isn’t married to her boyfriend and they have 3 kids.  And so she is in the process of talking with her boyfriend about getting married so she can be baptized!  She seems really excited about the gospel it’s great! She lives on the very east edge of our area (about a 30 minute bus ride from our pension) and she took 2 buses with her 3 kids, the oldest being 4, to get to the chapel and she just loved it!  So she’s our only real investigator that we have hopes of having some progress, but for the most part, we are back at square one with finding people to teach.

Our ZLs finally decided we needed some divisions, so tomorrow I’m working in Barranqueras with one of the other Elders in our ward.  I’m pretty excited for it and its going to be so fun to maybe have some positive energy flowing. Our ZLs are just so awesome and since they live across the hall from us I’m over at their place most of the time!

Other than that…the weather has still been crazy, I’m still getting eaten alive by mosquito's, and the food is still good (for the most part, I’ll explain in the other email).

The language is coming slowly but surely, every day I try to learn about 20 new words, although it doesn’t happen every day. I have a good grasp on what I need to say but it’s the transition words (like although, however) that are really messing with me because there not really words I put a lot of thought to when speaking in English. So when I look for words to study they’re usually not the first ones to pop into my head. The other problem is that those types of words don’t have a single direct translation, it just depends on the context or what you are talking about. So it’s hard but the members here are so helpful at being patient when talking to me so I get a lot of practice with them, my companion doesn’t really let me talk with investigators, so talking to members is the best practice I get during the day.

Glad to hear everything is going well at home.  I told you so mom.  I’m already up to Alma 32 in the Book of Mormon in our Presidents challenge to read it in a month.  I’m reading it in English because the point of it is to increase our faith, so I don’t really get much out of reading it in Spanish and its takes 4x longer.

But things are still as good as ever!
Have a good week!

Elder Peters

There are a few people that have learned to speak a little English on their own or while on their missions so sometimes they talk at me in English while I respond back in Spanish so that helps me learn sentence structure and practice my vocabulary.  We don’t really do anything fun on Pdays, just write, clean, and sleep. We are all cutting our hair today, I really need it, and we might play ping pong at the chapel but we were like an hour late to Resistencia to do everything we needed to do.  I guess waiting by the door for an hour doesn’t really help speed things up.

Yes I get Chadd’s emails and it sounds like he is having a blast.  I write Austin more than anyone else because we are both the only 2 in poorer areas for our missions, everyone is living large so we don’t really relate to them as much.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment